This web site uses cookies to personalize content and to analyze traffic.

Thursday, All Day Touring Agra India

Agra, India
Thursday, October 11, 2018
After breakfast at the hotel, I walked to the east gate of the Taj Mahal and then took a little side road down to the river. The little flat top river boat was leaving with a couple so I quickly negotiated with the driver and hopped aboard. I got him down from 500 rupees to 200 but later found the the couple only paid 150 per person. They paddled the boat over to the front of the Taj Mahal so we could take pictures. The view was okay but the river water wasn't very photogenic.

After the boat ride I hung around and took photos of the macaques around the river. They were baby monkeys playing and fighting all around. These macaques weren't interested in stealing my stuff like the other Asian monkeys.

One fun thing about India is that there are animals running around all over the place. There are water buffaloes in the rivers, cows in the street, little miniatures donkeys, horses pulling carts, an occasional camel beside the road, macaques on the rooftops and in the trees, chipmunk squirrels everywhere, a few rats, stray dogs barking and crapping everywhere, huge Black Kites soaring around, and bright green parrots with long tails screeching and flying around.

I walked back out to the main road and caught a Auto-rickshaw to the Agra Fort and spent about an hour there. All of the temples and forts are starting to look the same to me. There were some nice views of the Taj Mahal in the distance. One of the gardeners gave me some sugar or something to feed the chipmunks which they call squirrels. The chipmunks were everywhere and would hop into your hand to eat the stuff.

After the fort I took another tuktuk all the way to the other side of the river to a viewpoint in a park called ''Mehtab Bagh" which was right across the river from the Taj Mahal. There was charge for entering the park even though it was in the middle of nowhere. There was also a guy giving camel rides to tourists.

In the afternoon I spent some time at the hotel at the rooftop pool. At about 17:00 a storm rolled in and the wind started blowing but it never rained.


Leave a Comment